Tips for effective use of an interpreter
Some thoughts to keep in mind when using an interpreter.
- Keep in mind the interpreter will provide verbatim interpretation.
- Speak in sentences that are as short as possible.
- Be aware that accurate interpretation may necessitate more time and words in a foreign language.
- Address client/witness directly. Avoid directing all questions to the interpreter.
- Before starting, allow the interpreter and client to speak briefly to establish comfort and to make sure they understand each other.
Please let us know if you find these tips useful.